The distance (through Vraston) is 108 km. from Thessaloniki and
39 from Poligiro. The distance through Nikiti and Ag. Nikolao
is 130 km. from Thessaloniki and 50 km. from Poligiro.
Pirgadikia (or Ag Dimitrios), was founded after 1922 by refugees
from Asia Minor. Where the village is positioned and in the area
around it traces have been found of ancient establishments. The
most significant archeological area is found in the northern sea
shore of the peninsula of Pirgadikia, where most possibly was
the position of the ancient city met by Xerxes and his fleet after
the passing of the Athos canal. In the tax list of the Athenian
alliance it is mentioned till 433 b.C. From its area displayed
in the museum of Poligiros earthen pots, characteristic samples
of a local work shop.
Our next information for the area comes from a document written
in 1037, which mentions that the monastery Dohiariou of Agio Oros
<owns the field of Prigardikias>. On the Byzantine documents,
almost always, the area is mentioned by this name, from which
became the name of today's Pirgadikia. The monastery Dohiariou
owned constantly till a few years ago a large piece of land in
-The wall: In an era most likely during the Byzantine years, a
long and strong wall was built, which fortified the peninsula
of Pirgadikia. It started somewhere from today's villages harbor,
it went through west from the central church, west from the peak
of the peninsula and ended in the northern shore. The reason for
this wall is unknown, since no existence of Byzantine traces of
a settlement have been found inside the wall, except from the
foundations of the old Christian temple which we will mention
later on. Today from this large wall are distinguished a few sections,
from which the best preserved are on the northern slope of the
- The temple of Agiou Dimitriou: To this temple the village has
the obligation for its second name. It is found inside the village
and is a typical Halkidiotiko church of the 19th century. It is
built on top of ruins of an old Christian basilica, of which the
foundations are seen around the present temple.
- The tower: Is found in the middle of the valley <kampos>
on the north east, of the village, and a distance of approximately
2 km. Most likely it must be for the tower of the monastery M.
Dohiariou, which is mentioned in a document in 1409. Today saved
is ruins of a tower of a height 8m. approximately and partial
- The instillation of the monastery: surviving are two buildings
(1885) and a lot of ruins, all built before 1821. They are found
about 500 meters east of the valley, near the sea, and a visit
there is done by dirt road of medium pass ability. On the instillations
of the monastery found shelter the refugees, until they built
their houses in the village.
- The best sea shore of the area is at the valley, where the sand
is so beautiful and small shops are found for the service of the
8th September: festival for the birthday of Virgin Mary.
Characteristic items of the area: fish, olive products.