www.halkidikinet.gr, All about Halkidiki


Its distance (through Sarti) is 160km from Thessalonica and 92km from Poligiro.
It has: restaurants, hotels, camping, rooms for rent, post office, O.T.E., police, doctors surgery, chemist, veterinary clinic, taxi, petrol station.
Sikia is one of the old villages of Halkidiki. In documents from Agio oros of the 14th century it is mentioned by the name (Loggos).It was the seat of the Kapetanikiou Apro, a small governmental area of the 14th century. With this name the peninsula of Sithonia is still known today. When it was renamed Sikia is unknown. Most likely the change in name mast have happened during the 14th century, because in documents of that time it is mentioned that outside the village was a large and characteristic fig tree. During the Byzantine years the area of Sikia belonged to monasteries of Agio Oros and mainly to the monastery of Megistis Lavras. During the years of the Turkish influence the people of Sikia had a lot of connections with Agio Oros. Most of them and the most important (Serdarides) of Agio Oros (the members of internal gendarmerie) were from Sikia. Their free and disobedient spirit is the cause of having a tendency with war involvement.
Many times the people of Sikia, which have tradition and the sea, manned ships and dealt systematically with pirating. In 1821 they were one of the main contributors of the revolution in Halkidiki. The main fighting force which moved towards Thessaloniki with captain Hapsa, was from Sikia. That is why an area near Vasilika where the battle was fought and the body dissolved is still named today (The Sikiotakia).
The village after the containment of the revolution, was abandoned and the Turks burnt it down. The people of Sikia temporarily established them selves in Skopelo and Atalanti and manned the war force of southern Greece. Many of which remained professionally in the military and their ancestors still serve the army today.
In 1854, Tsamis Karatasios began the revolution in Halkidiki from Sikia, where he sieges, together with the people of Sikia, the Turks in the villages church. Because the Turks refused to surrender, he set the church on fire. In the Macedonian battle the people of Sikia built a strong fighting force. At the same time though, they held armed robberies, keeping the pirating tradition.
Today Sikia is the largest village in Sithonia. Its residents are distinguished by their drive and their good heart. They still are disobedient and unbelievably hospitable. They differ from the other people in Halkidiki in their dialect and tone of voice, their intense feelings and the different way they dance the Sirto.
They continue to work in Agio Oros and commercial fleets.
- Sikias old settlement: It is an entire characteristic settlement, of which many parts have their original form, as they were in the 19th century. In the middle of the settlement, at a height, is the church of Ag. Athanasiou. Built with a lot of care in 1819, burnt down in 1821. It was repaired but burnt down again in 1854 by Tsami Karatasio. After the end of the revolution Tsami Karatasios sent the money needed in (1861) for its reconstruction. Interesting is its wooden ceiling and the wood carved icon stand, work of 1703, which looks like they came from Ag. Oros. Characteristic is also its walls especially on the western side.
On the west side of the church is Sikias old school built around 1870, it is one of the oldest buildings of its kind in Halkidiki. On the eastern side of the church is the new school, built around 1920. It is a sample of the skill the people of Sikia use in working with granite which is abundant in the area.

- The windmills: On Sikias large sandy beach. Two are still saved built around
the 19th century.

- The ruins of the church in the bishopric: They are found at a distance of
approximately a 20 minute walk on the south side of Sikia. They are saved at a height of approximately 2 meters, part of a Byzantine(?) church, with width 18 meters. Unfortunately there is no information for this church, it look like it must be an important monument.

- Elevation “Koukos”: Found on the west side of Sikia. It is a steep, rocky and
high hill, which dominates Sikia and its area. On its peak is a castle it looks like there must have been an important prehistoric settlement. It is climbed by foot, by a difficult path, for half an hour. Worth a visit.

The endless sandy beaches of Sikia (2.5km), Kriaritsi (5km towards Toroni), the amazing Kalamitsi (8km towards Toroni).

- June: Agias Triadas: Characteristic festival.

Fish, beans, goat cheese, hand woven material, silk material.

Sikia, Sithonia, Halkidiki, Greece

Sikia, Sithonia, Halkidiki, Greece