Its distance is 120 km from Thessaloniki and 50 km from Polygyro.
It has restaurants, hotels, camping, rooms for rent, telephone,
Vourvourou is a seasonal settlement and legally belongs to Ag.
Nikolao. Its history is known from the 10th century ac. There
existed a small monastery, the monastery of Ieromnimon, which
was given together with the area to the new monastery, monastery
of Xenophondos of Agiou Oros. The area was at that time called
“land of Vourvourou.” The land then was mainly covered
by oak trees, unlike today’s foliage which is mainly coniferous.
The monastery of Xenophondos developed the area during the Byzantine
years. Organized the use of the neighboring fishery and used the
area mainly to pasture their animals.
In 1615 masters of the area were the people of Ag. Nikolao, they
gave the lands ownership to the monastery Simonos Petras of Ag.
Oros. Due to the monastery’s internal problems the area
was abandoned and at the end of the 18th century masters of the
area again became the people of Ag. Nikolao.
During the 19th century the Simopetrites tried to take over the
area. They sold the land to the Russian monks of Agio Oros. They
transferred there building materials to build their usual large
and expensive Russian monasteries. The people of Ag. Nikolao asked
for support from the Greek consulate in Thessaloniki which was
then under Turkish influence. The consulate provoked a diplomatic
episode, with the help of the European diplomats, at the same
time the people of Ag. Nikolao attacked the monks, destroyed the
building materials, killed the animals used for transportation
and assaulted the monks. From that time on the Russians have not
shown any interest for the area.
In 1878 during the Russian, Turkish war, the Turks wanted to settle
in the area Kirkasious as refugees but couldn’t permanently
due to the action taken by the Greek consulate in Thessaloniki.
During the 1960’s decade in the area started developing
the settlement for the teaching staff for the university of Thessaloniki.
Which today is an ornament for Vourvourou.
In 1974 quick excavations were done around the area where the
church of Panagia in Vourvourou is. Ruins were located which we
presume belonged to the Byzantine monastery of Ieromnimon and
to the monastery Simopetritiko.
The settlement built for the teaching staff of the university
of Thessaloniki. It occupies approx. 400 acres, in a pine filled
peninsula. The planning of the area is adjusted with respect to
the natural development of the peninsula. Most houses have decreased
their size so the view will remain beautiful. Most have been built
upon traditional Macedonian style. The church and the area around
it are successful creations of the architectural professor Mr.